7.29.2007

Take me Home...

One of the best things about country roads is the surprises they hold. And in the summer especially, they make no secret about their magic- the wildflowers nod along their shoulders, the sweet churches appear around their curves, the cows doze in the shade of the trees that are left in surrounding fields like gifts. They are wondrous in their beauty- mostly because they seem so oblivious to it. We always exclaim at how one could choose nearly any three turns off of the highway and wind up somewhere that takes our breath away.

But, yesterday we had a mission. Casey and I were going to visit the most honorable Hyla Brook Farm- home of native Virginia plant landscaping. They are open only once a month, when they have demonstrations. Yesterday was the Perenial Propagation open house- we were both free, and off we went. We arrived to a bunch of people standing around a table, moving soil around. I don't know what we expected, maybe a lecture? A tour? Noooo- this was even better. So, like kids in a candy store, (or maybe more like pigs in mud), we elbowed our way through to the table and started stirring. We cut and rooted three different kinds of asters, goldenrod, and monarda (the one Earl Grey Tea comes from). We divided a groundcover called Green and Gold, and sowed seeds for coreopsis, echinacea, and campanula. We got to keep them all!! I think I was actually dancing I was so excited. (Plus, I only cut myself once.)

Anyway, here's to country roads and their many gifts. And to Casey, who is willing to drive them.

No comments: