7.05.2007

A Midsummer's Thanks Giving

Ah... the fourth was so very food exciting. I found myself squealing about each dish to some poor soul, and wound up eating so much that my stomach ached long into the night. It was worth the pain. Casey MADE mozzarella, Ned grilled foccacia, and we just chopped and peeled our way through grilled vegetables, cucumber yogurt soup, a berry crisp, lavender honey ice cream and another attempt by me to solve the shortbread mystery. More food arrived in glorious appreciation of the vibrancy of the season, and together we happily listened to the chirping crickets and waited patiently for the fireworks to begin. Thank you, Freemans for a proper and so very joyful passage into mid-summer.

Now, I must make my way out of this food love haze to class, for which we read Pete Hamill's 'Snow in August'. I didn't adore the book, but I did love the rabbi's edict that "Love is almost always about words." Now, I am not even going to pretend that I understand anything about love, but I do revere the power of words. I have a near visceral reaction to words, so much so that there are some I stubbornly refuse to use. Fortunately, most of these are proper nouns, and so can be easily avoided. Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite words with you- Roll these around on your tongue, and see what occurs to you. To me, they are gifts, prayers and spells. In English, you can't beat the power of Shazam! In French, aubergine resounds. In Spanish, mariposa undoubtedly has a life of its own. And in Greek, you can feel the depth of logos.

No comments: