11.17.2007

Mash (sans bangers)

There is no end to the fun you get when you have a British friend. We get to entertain ourselves by shaping her idea of American culture through films like Heathers and previously mentioned trips to the donut factory, and she gets to make fun of our 'colonial English.' This means she teases us for leaving letters out of words like programme and colour. 'Tis the Queen's English, you know. Of course, sometimes the lessons go terribly awry and she winds up loving Lite 98, or K95, and we have to spend a little time in a kind of cultural rehab, banning that number on the radio dial. Last night, she brought me a particularly wise, well known British observation, 'Red hat, no knickers.' Consider yourself warned. Ahem.

The best part is that she is vegetarian too, and is going to teach me how to make a proper (and somehow still meatless) shepherd's pie- just in time for winter! I am planning a kind of 'Lord of the Rings' marathon, eating and drinking proper hobbit food, which in my head is shepherd's pie and Guinness- However, I may be sorely mistaken. Admittedly, the last time I read any Tolkien I was in the fourth grade, and I still have yet to see any of the films in the trilogy. I feel like hobbit-ness (hobbititude? hobbitiosity?) is one of those archetypes that remains with us though. Maybe just for creatures like me. In any case, I have been planning this hobbit festival for years- somehow winter has always passed by without it actually happening. But this year, I will have all of the proper knowledge and materials to make it happen. (read: food) Such lofty goals, I know.

No comments: