9.05.2007

A Question for Mothers (and Fathers)

The other day, Matt sent me my life purpose report from an online astrologer. It was very sweet of him- all of my freedom has left me with a feeling of purposelessness at most, and at the very least the fear that I may have misplaced my bootstraps. So, his gift to me came at the perfect time. And what do you know? There is food involved in my life mission, (surprise!) along with fostering a sense of security and creating space for healing and support. It is an extremely feminine mission- the archetypal grandmother. I have always at once rebelled against the sacrifice of this woman while still embracing her arts. The question I am left with is one of the modern woman's role of nurturing. As third wave feminists, what does caring for others mean to us? Is fostering the needs and desires of others just terribly antiquated, by necessity entailing a sacrifice of one's own needs and desires, or could it hold the key to the healing work that the world so desperately needs?

I would love to hear what you already know day by day and practice minute by minute. In the meantime, I am going to go make some chocolate ice cream.

No comments: